The view of the North of Suzhou Creek from the Bund in 1920.
Formerly named the Broadway Mansions, this structure was built by British merchants in 1934. Designed by Mr. Bright Fraser, one of the architecture icons in UK, the construction commenced in 1930. It was granted the current name by the Shanghai Municipal Government on May 1st, 1951.
Broadway Mansions in 1934.
Broadway Mansions in 1937.
At the conjunction of the Huangpu River and Suzhou River, and opposite to the Lujiazui Financial Zone and the banking district of the Bund, it is one of the best sight spots along the river. Over an extended period, the Landscape Terrace on 18F presented the optimal views over the city skyline in Shanghai.
– The main building is one of the 14 modern historical sites in the Bund area.
– The Landscape Terrace on 18F is one of the best sightseeing spots over the Bund.
In 1958, Mr. Chen Yi, then Deputy Prime Minister of the State Council, joined Mr. Kim Il-sung, Secretary of Korean Labor Party, and overlooked the city view of Shanghai on 18F of the Broadway Mansions Hotel Shanghai.
In 1971 and 1973, Mr. Zhou En-lai, then Prime Minister, accompanied the Emperor of Ethiopia and Mr. Georges Pompidou, then President of France, to visit the Landscape Terrace on 18F respectively.
On September 17th, 1973, the President of France visit the Landscape Terrace.In 1987, Mr. Jiang Ze-min hosted the Crown Prince of Thailand and his delegation in the Banquet Hall of the Broadway Mansions Hotel Shanghai.
In 1989, Mr. Zhu Rong-ji hosted the Mayer of Istanbul, the Republic of Turkey, and his team on 19F of the Broadway Mansions Hotel Shanghai.
In 1996, Mr. Huang Ju, then Secretary of CCP in Shanghai, and Mr. Xu Kuangdi, then Mayer of Shanghai, visited the Reception Hall on 18F of the Broadway Mansions Hotel Shanghai.
In 2001, Mr. Junichiro Koizumi, Prime Minister of Japan, left his greeting on the VIP Register of the Broadway Mansions Hotel Shanghai.